23 December 2021

as 2021 comes to an end

Dear Supporters,
 
As we approach Christmas, we are also nearing our 3 months in the UK mark. I know at the end of the last newsletter, I promised to tell you why I needed to wear a suit, I will get to that soon, first I would like to share a bit about the ongoing work in Tanzania. 

We are extremely thankful, that the program has been able to cover the majority of our planned flights since our departure in September. We were able to get former MAF Tanzania pilots (now based in Europe) updated paperwork before I left, and they have been covering the flights up to four weeks at a time. We also managed to get two Uganda based pilots licensed and authorized to do training in Tanzania. With online flight tracking, WhatsApp, Teams and Wingman, I have been able to support the team remotely during these months. Due to the 3 hour time difference, I often have to start my days quite a bit earlier than I'm used to and that's not easy on dark and cold winter mornings. There is a bit of a break in flying now and planning is in place for the next relief pilot to start early in January. Please continue to pray for a permanent solution for the program. 
Meanwhile back in Oxford, Christmas came early with our Carol Service at the end of November, before all the students left. Amelia was part of the small group who led the carols in a beautiful service in the heart of Oxford as snow started falling outside. The next day we had some fun in the fresh snow, although it did not take long until we were complaining about frozen toes and fingers.
I applied for a position at the Christian Institute in January but was unsuccessful, they then had another round of recruiting in July and invited me to Newcastle for an interview shortly after we arrived in the UK. That is why I had to wear a suit for the first time since my wedding. It was an interesting experience outside of my comfort zone; researching, writing and commenting on current news from a Christian perspective. However, it must have gone well enough since they offered me a position which I have accepted!
Since then, Amelia and I made to a 3 day trip and viewed almost 15 houses, made an offer on one and that has also been accepted! So, now we are in the process of sorting all of that out. In the meantime, we will stay in Oxford and involved with the church until the end of February and I will continue working with MAF until the end of March.
So many things worked out last minute for our move over here: I have never before bought our international tickets days before leaving, let alone for our final departure! We bought a car over a couple of WhatsApp calls. The mission house in Oxford was confirmed 3 days before we left Ireland! We are extremely thankful for all the answered prayers, Amelia's only request was that it would be a bit less last minute. So this time, God answered four months in advance.
As we approach Christmas, perhaps with a lot of uncertainty, frustrations, disappointments and questions, we are just reminded that God is in control. His timing is perfect and He knows what He is doing, even when it does not feel that way from our perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment